Re: Trouble getting started with Multitouch testing - Apple Magic Trackpad

On 09/03/2010 04:29 PM, Murat Gunes wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 12:09 -0400, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:
>> AFAIK the magimouse-kernel-source package is only for the Magic Mouse. I
>> believe that's why you see those errors.
>>
>> The instructions we have for testing multi-touch with the Magic Trackpad
>> in Maverick are here, step by step:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/AppleMagicTrackpad
>
> Hi Fabian, Patrick,
>
> magicmouse-kernel-source is the new name of multitouch-kernel-source
> [1]. I had updated the wiki page to reflect that yesterday. That's the
> correct package to install for the Magic Trackpad.
>
> I also made an edit to recommend using the "synaptics" X driver instead
> of (g)evdev as per Chase's advice on IRC.
>
> m.
>
> [1] https://lists.launchpad.net/multi-touch-dev/msg00346.html

Hi Murat thanks for the reference.

I made some further changes after testing all this in a clean install
today.

The synaptics driver didn't work for me, and I am getting the same error
as Patrick when using lsinput. So I also added a note on how to look at
the Xorg log to get that information.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/AppleMagicTrackpad

Once those steps were completed, I added the ubuntu-netbook package and
I was able to use multi-touch in the UI too. I tried using the
ubuntu-netbook live image from a USB key but hit two bugs:

http://pad.lv/629721
http://pad.lv/608382

In short, even if you succeed building a bootable usb drive of netbook
edition (by following the workaround on comment #20 of the first bug),
when you boot it won't work without proper drivers as it won't present
panels.

My starting point was a live USB (using the workaround above) of Ubuntu
64-bit standard desktop.

Any comments welcome as we try to document this in a way that any one
can start experimenting and helping with testing :)

Cheers,

- --
Fabian Rodriguez, Ubuntu Systems Senior Support Analyst
Ubuntu Certified Instructor ~ LPIC-1 / UCP
Canonical Corporate Services, Montreal, QC, Canada
http://landscape.canonical.com