Re: mtdev library and Xorg

Hi Armando,

> I understand that the mtdev library is in
> charge of translating from Type A protocol to Type B (slotted) protocol.
>
> I guess that the evdev driver in Xorg should be modified in order to
> use mtdev library, right?

Yes, an X driver capable of understanding the kernel/mtdev protocol is
needed in order to translate to the X world. In Natty, we achieve this
by modifying evdev to translate to the XI2.1 protocol.

> But starting from 2.6.36 kernel, is this still necessary?

The mtdev library will be needed as long as there is hardware and
drivers using the type A protocol. It can also be used for hardware
testing. It is not likely to go away anytime soon.

> What is Ubuntu doing?

The above. It would be very interesting to hear about your
applications, if you have something to share. :-)

Thanks,
Henrik