Re: mtdev library and Xorg

Ciao Henrik,

I understand that the mtdev library is in
charge of translating from Type A protocol to Type B (slotted) protocol.

I guess that the evdev driver in Xorg should be modified in order to
use mtdev library, right?

Yes, an X driver capable of understanding the kernel/mtdev protocol is
needed in order to translate to the X world. In Natty, we achieve this
by modifying evdev to translate to the XI2.1 protocol.

OK, clear.
So, basically we need to comply to Xinput 2.1.

But starting from 2.6.36 kernel, is this still necessary?

The mtdev library will be needed as long as there is hardware and
drivers using the type A protocol. It can also be used for hardware
testing. It is not likely to go away anytime soon.

I understand it.
Let's say that, if I got it right, for us that will move to
2.6.36 it would be probably not necessary, but in any
case we need to modify the x.org xinput part to comply
to 2.1.

What is Ubuntu doing?

The above. It would be very interesting to hear about your
applications, if you have something to share. :-)

Well, I'm working in a division of STMicro that is implementing
a new SoC called SPEAr 13xx. We already have prototypes in our hands.

One of the eval boards that we are using uses a USB touch module
from DataModul, a small german company, which is capable of detecting
up to 10 contacts. I modified the usbtouchscreen.c driver in a 2.6.32
kernel, but we will soon move to 2.6.36.

Currently I'm using mtdev to debug my driver, but I'm also trying to get more
infromation related to distro as we will need to integrate everything
into STLinux, which is the the distro of our reference...

I don't have much knowledge from distro point of view, but I need to be able
to sustain an internal discussion about its multi-touch modifications with
the STLinux maintainers.
That's why I was getting more info on this list.

THx,
Arm

--
-- "Every step appears to be the unavoidable consequence of the
-- preceding one." (A. Einstein) --