Re: mtdev library and Xorg

> >>But starting from 2.6.36 kernel, is this still necessary?
> >
> >The mtdev library will be needed as long as there is hardware and
> >drivers using the type A protocol. It can also be used for hardware
> >testing. It is not likely to go away anytime soon.
>
> I understand it.
> Let's say that, if I got it right, for us that will move to
> 2.6.36 it would be probably not necessary, but in any
> case we need to modify the x.org xinput part to comply
> to 2.1.

Since XI2.1 depends on tracked contacts, even if your particular
hardware may work without it, the distro still needs mtdev for many
other devices. Type A is still supported.

> Well, I'm working in a division of STMicro that is implementing
> a new SoC called SPEAr 13xx. We already have prototypes in our hands.

Nice!

> One of the eval boards that we are using uses a USB touch module
> from DataModul, a small german company, which is capable of detecting
> up to 10 contacts. I modified the usbtouchscreen.c driver in a 2.6.32
> kernel, but we will soon move to 2.6.36.

I take it you know that type B drivers pass right through mtdev, so
there is no loss involved in using it.

> Currently I'm using mtdev to debug my driver, but I'm also trying to
> get more
> infromation related to distro as we will need to integrate everything
> into STLinux, which is the the distro of our reference...

It figures. :-)

> I don't have much knowledge from distro point of view, but I need to be able
> to sustain an internal discussion about its multi-touch modifications with
> the STLinux maintainers.
> That's why I was getting more info on this list.

I see. Thanks for sharing!

Henrik