Re: uTouch for Lucid Lynx

On 01/27/2011 09:16 AM, Stephen M. Webb wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 06:01 -0800, Duncan M. McGreggor wrote:
>> On Jan 23, 2011, at 7:31 AM, Leonardo Morelli wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering if there's a way to use uTouch in Kubuntu 10.04
>>> Lucid. I
>>> was able to install it on Maverick but had to switch back to Lucid
>>> (video card related issues). And now I can't find a version for Lucid.
>>> What about building it from source in Lucid? would it work?
>
> There's no reason why _most_ of the uTouch stack should not just build
> and run fine on 10.04.  The one exception is the evdev plugin for the
> x.org server:  10.04 and 10.10 use the same upstream version of the
> x.org server but the version of the evdev plugin we use as part of the
> uTouch stack (2.3) is much newer than the one found in 10.04 (1.8).
> Unfortunately this is Chase's area of expertise and I have no idea how
> much effort would be required to backport evdev 1.8 to Lucid or what
> impact it would have.

One would need to patch both xserver-xorg-input-evdev and xorg-server.
Then, you probably will need to be running a newer kernel than 2.6.32. I
would suspect that the kernels from maverick or natty should work fine
in lucid. Of course, then you have to build all the utouch stack on top
of that :).

-- Chase