Re: ginn and window recognition (was: Re: If you did not already know...)

Hey Pascal,

On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 16:11 +0000, Pascal Giard wrote:
> Hello Neil,
>
>  Please don't get me wrong. I had no doubt that your choice of libbamf
> was technically guided.
> My modifications are only meant as a temporary solution until the
> dependencies propagate to Debian unstable.

Right :)

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Neil Jagdish Patel
> <neil.patel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Could I ask which dependencies are causing the most trouble?
>
> Sure thing.
> (For the sake of simplicity, every time I say Debian, unstable is
> implicit unless stated otherwise).
> There are two cases: bamf 0.2.58 and 0.2.78.
>
> 0.2.58:
> Depends on gir1.0-wnck-1.0 which isn't in Debian; building it myself
> was not an issue.
> Once installed, attempting to build bamf results in the following error...
> gapplaunchhandlerdbus.c:36: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘*’ token
> I assume that GDesktopAppInfoLaunchHandlerIface is not defined and
> thus that 0.2.58 depends on a modified GIO.
> I haven't tried to patch/build GIO (yet).
>
> 0.2.78:
> Depends on gir1.2 which is in Debian experimental. However, I can't
> install gir1.2 without removing gnome and cie.
> Ouch.

Right, we had the same type of issue earlier in the cycle. The thing is
that the gir packages aren't actually a "dep", they are in the package
to build the gir bindings for BAMF only.

You could easily modify the packaging to drop these deps and build bamf
with --disable-introspection passed to configure, which would stop the
building of these files. BAMF & Ginn would work fine without them.

> I'd rather have full accuracy if possible w/o too much trouble.
> This may sound ignorant, but for GIO, can you point me to the relevant
> patch/package please?
>
> Thanks to both of you Neil and Jason, I'm sure I'll manage to work
> something out.

I don't have it to hand and don't have the upstream bug number either,
sorry, but you can get it from Ubuntu's glib package (it adds an
extension point).

With that patch, Bamf will compile and run. We actually need to remove
the need for that patch altogether, but have run out of time before
feature freeze. You could build bamf by disabling the build of the
extension point if you don't want to patch glib, bamf will still run and
should still work pretty well.

I hope that helps!

--
Neil Jagdish Patel | Technical Lead