Re: ginn and window recognition (was: Re: If you did not already know...)

Hello Neil,

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Neil Jagdish Patel
<neil.patel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey Pascal,
[...]
>> 0.2.78:
>> Depends on gir1.2 which is in Debian experimental. However, I can't
>> install gir1.2 without removing gnome and cie.
>> Ouch.
>
> Right, we had the same type of issue earlier in the cycle. The thing is
> that the gir packages aren't actually a "dep", they are in the package
> to build the gir bindings for BAMF only.
>
> You could easily modify the packaging to drop these deps and build bamf
> with --disable-introspection passed to configure, which would stop the
> building of these files. BAMF & Ginn would work fine without them.

Ah! Thanks for the information. I must admit I didn't try to
understand bamf's packaging.

>> I'd rather have full accuracy if possible w/o too much trouble.
>> This may sound ignorant, but for GIO, can you point me to the relevant
>> patch/package please?
>>
>> Thanks to both of you Neil and Jason, I'm sure I'll manage to work
>> something out.
>
> I don't have it to hand and don't have the upstream bug number either,
> sorry, but you can get it from Ubuntu's glib package (it adds an
> extension point).

If I understand correctly, this is 71_gio_launch_handler.patch ...

> With that patch, Bamf will compile and run. We actually need to remove
> the need for that patch altogether, but have run out of time before
> feature freeze. You could build bamf by disabling the build of the
> extension point if you don't want to patch glib, bamf will still run and
> should still work pretty well.

I'll see if building a patched glib creates a domino effect and go from there.

Thanks again, you helped me a great deal with your insightful comments!

-Pascal
--
Homepage (http://organact.mine.nu)
Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org)