mysql-proxy-discuss team mailing list archive

Re: mysql proxy IMPROVING performance?

Hi!

On Sep 7, 2009, at 7:49 PM, Adrienne Porter Felt wrote:

We seem to have fixed the problem.  When we use a Python profiler that
computes CPU time as opposed to wall time, we get the expected results (a consistent slowdown for the proxy which decreases as the result set size
and/or complexity of the query increases).

I'm just a bit surprised that measuring wall clock consistently shows results going in the other direction, actually. The only explanation I can come up with is this running all on the same machines where the active threads exceeds the CPU/core count of said machine. Was this the case? Otherwise wall clock time should be
higher, but exhibit the same general trend, no?
But good that you could find and solve the problem!

The only remaining oddness is that increasing the number of connections
going through funnel still shows a speedup (that is, processing 1
query when 250 connections are open to the proxy and 1 connection is open to the backend is *faster* than processing 1 query when 10 connections are open
to the proxy).

Maybe Nick has an explanation for that, I can't see an obvious reason why this should be true. It's worth writing a benchmark for that, though, and try to see if we can come up with profiling data that
shows it (and then hopefully lets us understand it).

Thanks for the valuable data!

cheers,
-k
--
Kay Roepke
Software Engineer, MySQL Enterprise Tools

Sun Microsystems GmbH    Sonnenallee 1, DE-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Geschaeftsfuehrer:    Thomas Schroeder,  Wolfang Engels,  Wolf Frenkel
Vorsitz d. Aufs.rat.: Martin Haering                    HRB MUC 161028