Re: Twisted or Eventlet?

On Aug 4, 2010, at 3:10 PM, Michael Gundlach wrote:

> I can safely argue that there many more Twisted programmers in the
> market than Eventlet ones.
>
> Granted.  The lower number of Eventlet programmers is a con, while being able to offer people the chance to work on a newer technology is a pro.

	I'm not swayed by this argument at all. After all, there are many, many more programmers who don't know either, or any async programming for that matter, and no one's using that as an argument to not do async programming. Twisted's greater numbers is simply a function of being around longer.

	I feel a much more meaningful comparison is to look at those who are new to async programming, and consider which would be a) easier for them to read/grok, and b) easier for them to achieve fluency in so that they can contribute, too.

	I've used Twisted a lot, and am comfortable with it, but IMO there is no comparison on this front. Twisted requires you to learn a new way to approach your programming solutions, while Eventlet allows you to write non-blocking code nearly the same as you would write blocking code.

-- Ed Leafe