Re: LP bug status

2011/4/29 Borja LS <borjalopezsoilan@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I think that, sooner or latter, we will need to migrate these modules from
> the (now deprecated) extra-addons branch to new feature/module-specific
> repositories. Otherwise we won't be able to properly maintain the
> community-supported modules.
>
> The problem I see is that currently we seem to lack tools to manage the
> transition.

Probably, the best solution is to move them (entirely) somewhere like
https://launchpad.net/openobject-extra-addons
These addons will be owned by 'OpenERP Committers' and will have a
branch structure like the openobject-addons one.

> (Suppose we move out a module from extra-addons into another branch: when
> the users pull the last version of extra-addons they will just see that the
> module is missing, but they don't have an automated way to find and download
> the new version. Yes, they may go to http://apps.openerp.com/ search the
> module, find on what repository it is, clone/branch that repository and add
> it to the addons path on the OpenERP configuration...  Now think again: what
> does happen if all the modules from extra-addons are moved out? what does it
> happen with module-dependencies?...)

For instance, what problem do you see in moving this branch
https://code.launchpad.net/~openerp-commiter/openobject-addons/trunk-extra-addons
to something like
https://code.launchpad.net/~openerp-commiter/openobject-extra-addons/trunk
?

> I think we need either command-line tools or OpenERP wizards able to resolve
> and download module dependencies (some kind of "apt-get" or "easy_install"
> for OpenERP 'apps'). Does somebody know if such tools are planned?

This is certainly a significant improvement.
It has been talked about
http://feedback.openerp.com/forums/95265-technical-improvements/suggestions/1358523-openerp-module-should-be-standard-python-egg-modu
and it seems to be planned

--