Re: lp:~openerp-community/openerp/skitzotek_trunk_symlinks into lp:openerp

Hello Olivier,

despite being "deprecated" many modules are still only maintained in the
"extra addons" branch. For instance some 5 modules required for the
Brazilian localization are to be found in that branch (because they could
also be used in other state federations, eventually USA or even Europe as a
whole), but also many useful modules like product_variant_multi,
nan_product_pack...

I insist apps.openerp.com is absolutely not a solution yet as it is. Like
if you search for magentoerpconnect you won't find the 6.1 presentation
cause it's shadowed by some old certified version, if you search
purchase_to_sale, instead of finding my module pruchase_to_sale you'll find
dozens of modules dealing with purchase OR sale....

But more importantly, today, because of OpenERP's SA idea of not using any
standard package format (like Tryton for instance), we still don't have
version dependency management (and please don't try to re-implement it
internally, I've seen all the bugs a project like Bundler had, it's not
trivial), so maintaining things is hundreds of different branches is
absolutely not viable today because you can never know what works with what
commit number, there are just too many combinations and fetching all your
branches is also tedious and error prone.

A better solution would be to have version control dependency. Else, it's
still not over at all where modules should be developed/published and given
this situation, the extra addons are still being used actively by the last
serious guys in the OpenERP ship.

I'm a bit afraid you doesn't seem aware of this problem at OpenERP SA...

Regards and thanks for all the good work nonetheless.

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant