Re: proposal to discuss forking of OpenERP GTK client

Am 11.10.2012 17:31, schrieb Anders Wallenquist:
2012-10-11 16:48, Raphael Valyi skrev:
For the very GTK die hard, I would rather suggest using Tryton instead which place the GTK client at the center of it.

Otherwise, I would say as Stefan: let's focus on making the web client decent. Something like GMail is perfectly usable, the same could be achieved with OpenERP (of course not using standard high level component framework doesn't help), but at least the web-client code is now much cleaner than the rest of the OpenERP codebase.

Well for many of our customer gmail are unusable and the GTK-client are a strong argument in competition with Google Apps.

We too would strongly recommend the GTK Client.

It is more stable and once you know the processes of OpenERP, it's much faster to work in. It does not depend on browser manufacturers, where changes in interpreting HTML may be made, and 3rd party addons (to the browser) may interfere.

From our experience with other software, web usage may be nice to have, but in company environments, "real" clients are much easier accepted and advertise a certain seriousity.

We have contacts to multiple companies developing custom made software, for specific customer needs. Newer projects are now being developed mostly as Java or Delphi (yes, sadly that still lives... :)) applications (some even in RPG), and they stopped using web based systems, as the customers would not like to place their business applications on the same platform as Facebooks Cow Clicker.

As for the RPC webservices, I hope they will be maintained on par because the very good integration potential of OpenERP is really something that make OpenERP attractive compared to other ERP's or enterprise applications in general.
Another strong argument are that there are webservices for everything in OpenERP (the GTK-client are a proof for that) and if we loose that two we have just lost two strong arguments for OpenERP.

We rely heavily on those, and having these interface possiblities was one of the main factors why we started using OpenERP at all.

We interface OpenERP with different existing software packages involving our production, from e.g. external lot tracking softwares to project management systems.

Losing or even limiting these features would mean we can't advance to any newer version of OpenERP, and we would soon have to look into alternatives to ensure continuity of our interfaces.

Is there any list or forum where plans like these are discussed in detail, so we might inform ourselves on short notice and for the long run?

Regards,
Marco Dieckhoff

--

Dipl.-Inform. Marco Dieckhoff
Project Manager IT/ORG

BREMSKERL-REIBBELAGWERKE EMMERLING GMBH & CO KG
Brakenhof 7, 31629 Estorf-Leeseringen (Germany)
P.O. Box 1860, 31568 Nienburg (Germany)
phone: +49 (0) 5025 978 120
mail: marco.dieckhoff@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Geschäftsführer der GmbH / General Manager: Reinhard Gramatke
Amtsgericht Walsrode / Registration no.: KG: HRA100282, GmbH: HRB100520

begin:vcard
fn:Marco Dieckhoff
n:Dieckhoff;Marco
org:Bremskerl Reibbelagwerke Emmerling GmbH & Co. KG;O IT/Organisation
adr:;;Brakenhof 7;Leeseringen;Niedersachsen;31629;Deutschland
email;internet:marco.dieckhoff@xxxxxxxxxxxx
tel;work:+49 5025 978 120
url:http://www.bremskerl.de
version:2.1