Re: proposal to discuss forking of OpenERP GTK client

2012-10-11 16:48, Raphael Valyi skrev:

I am afraid that dropping the official support for the GTK client means
that the RPC/webservice API will degenerate and the main development
will diverge. We often forget that OpenERP have to live in a context
with other important applications and will have a look and feel entirely
different apart from them. The official support for the GTK-client are
not just important for a better and consistant desktop experience for
organisations that don't like disparate UX and avoid web applications,
it is a guarantee the webservice are functional.  Even if we got a
"fork" of the GTK-client there are no commitment from OpenERP SA that it
will be possible to maintain such thing. Its too tempting to use bells
and whistles from web and bypass API and create a mess.

a) we need a "guarantee" for the consistance of webservice api. Its
weird that openerp-lib are not part of gtk-client, and its likely
strange that those peaces of software not are updated in the same phase
as the server-api.

b) The fact that its possible to use openERP in tree ways, thin, fat and
webservice are the most important technical subject when selling the
OpenObject/OpenERP-plattform.

c) The possibility to offer a consistent UX on the desktop.

Please don't waste that unique position OpenERP has today.

Regards,

Anders Wallenquist
Vertel