Re: New Community Organization for OpenERP

On mer. 21 nov. 2012 09:38:10 CET, Alexis de Lattre wrote:
> Le 16/11/2012 16:41, Joël Grand-Guillaume a écrit :
>> For all of these projects, the rules we expect you to adhere to and
>> respect are:
>>
>>  *
>>
>>     Nobody merge his/her own work into the branch. Another member of
>>     the team must do it. Exceptions may be accepted if the merge
>>     proposal has been strongly approved by the rest of the team;
>>
> I agree on this, but I think it requires another exception : if you
> are the main author of the module, then you don't need to go through a
> merge proposal, you can push your code directly. For example, I am the
> main author of the OpenERP-Asterisk connector ; if I apply your rule
> to the Asterisk-OpenERP connector on Launchpad, that mean I would need
> to try to find someone to review all my code on this project ; I'm
> afraid that nobody will review it, because I am basically the only one
> to master the code of this module !

Hello Alexis.

IMO, you should still try to go though a MP, and partners who are using
the module shoudl try hard to review the code. I agree that is no one
cares about a MP and does a review, we should have a way of forcing the
merge anyway, in order to avoid a lock in the situation.

Reviewing a MP does not require mastering the code of a module. I
recently reviewed code related to a specific format of 2D barcode, with
no knowledge of the format of the barcode and little knowledge of the
rest of the module. This did not prevent me from finding a bug in the
code and to suggest several improvements and cleanups. It also gave me
some knowledge of that piece of  code. Reviews are useful because they
enable non experts to get to know the parts of the module which are
evolving.

--
Alexandre Fayolle
Chef de Projet