Re: New Community Organization for OpenERP

On jeu. 22 nov. 2012 11:54:49 CET, Pieter J. Kersten wrote:
> Hi Alexandre,
>
> You have taken my response out of its context. I was not speaking of
> merges into other peoples code bases. They should be assessed.
> Nonetheless a brute "no" is considered impolite there too. Even more
> when it is the original author whose code you refuse. That can be
> considered as hijacking.

I agree with this.

> You argue that code quality overrules politeness. But they are
> different perspectives of the same issue. One cannot overrule the
> other. Arguments from one perspective against the other are against
> reality and therefore fruitless. You have to deal with both. I simply
> state that following the proposed rule as some law of nature, will
> inevitably lead to impoliteness. That should be avoided.

Well, in an ideal world, of course, everyone will be kind and
forgiving. I'm not
the kind of person who bashes and swears for the sake of it.

When I do a code review, I tend to state facts (on this line you do
such and
such, you should do such instead). It is generally quite dry. If the
matter is
important I will tag the MP as "needs rework" (which anyone with the
correct
privileges is free to ignore, although I would consider it rude to do
so without
discussing the issue first). But of course discussing is important and
part of
the process. Discussing means exchanging messages, and of course
enhancing the patch being merged.

In the end, there are then 2 possibilities:

* the issue is technical, and one side will be able to convince the
other that
their approach is the correct one. Issue solved
* the issue is non technical (it can be cultural, a matter of style or
whatever else),
and there is no "correct" answer in the end. People are expected to
behave as
adults and find a gentlemen's agreement and deal with it.

The second case can take time, and maturity on the participant's side.
Free software promotes meritocracy, and accepting others' arguments
in a discussion is part of earning merit in a community.

--
Alexandre Fayolle
Chef de Projet

Camptocamp France SAS