Re: Community project Last updates

Hi There,

I am more than happy to contribute.

We need to have an open discussion where we want to take Medical if we are bringing it 'back' into the OpenERP fold.

At present Medical (GNU Health) is an excellent tool to deal with requirements based on hospital settings in developing countries, but not so much for the challenges of Health Care providers (Secondary AND Primary Care) in Europe and the US (and increasingly in other regions as well,
due to the 'westernisation' of the populations in terms of lifestyle).

Medical needs to be able to deal with the following challenges:

- proper staff management: health care professionals are employees not a different entity
- Analytic accounting: how much does a treatment cost?
- Service BOM: this goes beyond Medical and is a requirement for the service industry in general
- Better integration into other OpenERP modules (project/hr/etc.)
- HL7 integration (HL7 v3 or even better HL7 Fire http://hl7.org/implement/standards/fhir/)
- Ability to plan / create treatment strategy / treatment plan / treatments
- Standardisation of patient care which means different care pathways / processes / workflows and the ability to design / manage these. Here we are talking about an integration with tools like Bonitasoft / Processmaker and others into OpenERP workflows via the BPMN standard
- Outcome measures / patient feedback based on open standards like ICF.

To give you an idea how an open source approach into primary healthcare is discussed in the UK (and we have brought in OpenERP into the stack):

http://www.opengpsoc.org/our-stack/

Medical is mentioned there, but we are fully aware that it will 'not cut it', due to the points raised above.

Personally, I think to port Medical back to 6.1 does not make sense at all (6.1 is not an LTS version). We have to collaborate on a better fit solution in OpenERP version v7 incorporating the improvements made to, for example the partner / contact model
and integrate it properly with appropriate modules.

Cheers,
Eckhard.