Re: What to do about *_layout in 7?

On 12/13/2012 01:57 PM, Alan Lord wrote:
On 12/12/12 17:34, Olivier Dony wrote:
= Invoices =

I've just tested and the sequence and descriptions seem to propagate
well between SO and Customer Invoice. On a side note the "handle" to
reorder invoice lines is still missing, that will be fixed soon.

OK Great, but what about the flow: SO -> DO -> INV. IMHO it needs to be
retained all the way through the system.

The information will be propagated through the "name" field of the various lines: SO line -> DO line -> INV line. However this should only be the case for the real "product" lines indeed. More about this below.

= Delivery Orders =

On a sale.order, add a multiline "comment", e.g. a line item with zero
qty and no product/cost. It is *this* kind of comment that my customer
wants to see in the Delivery Order... (A note in the _layout module)

This is not really supported, or at least, not more than it was with the standard *_layout modules. You can create dummy lines but since they're not real product lines they won't go through the procurement/delivery flow, and won't appear on delivery orders.

This is consistent with what I meant before w.r.t warehouse management: when you enter the procurement/delivery workflow, you're only concerned about real products. And a lot of things may happen to the flat monolithic list of lines you entered in the SO before it reaches the customer: each line may be split/back-ordered/scrapped separately and in any order. There's not much sense trying to keep several lines grouped together under a "dummy subtitle" in this context.

As far as I know the _layout modules did not do this differently.

When their customer confirms the Quote and they confirm the sale.order,
the main document they use from that point forward is the delivery order
(stock.picking). They can't amend the sale.order now as it has been
confirmed, but the actual quantities and specifications often change
between order acceptance and delivery (this is often several months).

When they start to deliver portions of the order, the Delivery Note
should show to the installers and receivers of the goods exactly where
items are to go, e.g. First Floor, Underwear section. Ground Floor,
Fruit & Vegetables etc. (Remember, they have already entered all this
information once already on the Quote.)

This is why maintenance of the line ordering is very important. It can
take quite a long time to create a complex sale.order. When the line
ordering and notes etc. get lost after confirmation, it just means they
have to repeat that work again (usually in a spreadsheet, to provide
this important information to the their client.

I'm afraid this is too specific and belongs to a customization module, because it requires strong assumptions that are incompatible with the generic case OpenERP wants to support out-of-the-box (It looks like you need to have SO lines = DO lines = Invoice lines in all cases, and/or must be sure that operators follow a strict human process that is not enforced by the system)

It would be trivial to implement in a custom module: the information is already there.

If there is a better way to do what they need then I'd like to know
about it, but OpenERP as it now (they are on 6.0) is not optimal due
these arbitrary decisions on when and how line ordering and line notes
get used.

The whole procurement and delivery process of OpenERP is driven by notions of procuring goods and getting them delivered to locations on certain assigned dates. The units of work in this process are procurement orders: bring a certain quantity of product P to location B on date D. If there is a piece of information that needs to accompany the unit of work through the whole workflow, it should specified on it. Everything else is logically built upon this foundation (and not exactly arbitrary).

Naive suggestion: put the important information in the long description of the SO lines themselves, not just in extra dummy lines. You could put "tags" at the end of product lines, e.g. [FLR1,UW] or [GF,F&V] and so on, possibly with a caption at the bottom of the SO, if the tags are not obvious enough.

Printing is not really an issue. *All* our customers use Aeroo and
heavily customised reports anyway. I know of none that use the default
templates. As long as the data is in the system as we can access it with
a decent reporting tool then that's fine.

Well then, you can design the reports the way you want anyway :-) And given that a DO has a relationship to its source SO, the information has always been there in the database anyway, even before we allowed multi-line descriptions.

I wonder how you handle the fact that any given SO may end up being delivered in 20 different partial shipments (with as many back-orders, delivery notes and invoices), though.

The same applies when the DO is used to create an Invoice. Although it
is not so important, our customer would like the Invoice to reflect the
same ordering and notes etc, so their customer can see what exactly they
are paying for ;-)

Similarly, if the important information is in the product line description, it will accompany it everywhere.