Re: How should we proceed with "Deprecated" 6.1 version of OpenERP

Hello Mario,

Besides all the Nhomar speech, that I do respect, we and some other
companies have decided to stay in 6.1. I don't want to open again the
Pandoras box, because I also respect OpenERP SA a lot since they make my
way of living and I don't like the way sometimes we can critize them: they
are a company trying to make it as we are, and they have their rules,
roadmap, partners offerings and business plans. If you like/agree with them
I think it's great, but if you don't it's also great because we have the
freedom to choose what to do.

So going back to the point: we see ourselves in the 6.1 for some time. We
(representing some Spanish companies, not just my company) have been lately
starting to make a deep analysis of existing bugs and pending merges to
start the community branch from the original one. But we've studied
existing non-official branches (Therp, c2c, Akretion, ours...) and came to
the conclusion that Therp's one is the best. I think that should be the
starting point, of course if everybody agrees or prove that we are wrong.

But, we've problems coming soon, because maintaining branches is a hard
work not suitable for non-expert people. I see two different projects here:
1) Making the best 6.1 branch in the world, including:
1.1 - Not solved bugs but with pending merges.
1.2 - Not solved bugs without pending merges.
1.3 - Some features that could break compatibility with the original one,
but improving OpenERP.

2) Maintaining that branch, including:
2.1 - Taking care of bug reporting
2.2 - Testing and accepting merges

The second point is the one that freaks me out, because maybe the suitable
thing would be... get some funds and have some people (from Therp?) in
charge of it.

Anyway this is a hard decision to make but I'm with Mario that we should do
something soon.