Re: How should we proceed with "Deprecated" 6.1 version of OpenERP

Thanks Nhomar and Carlos, that's the discussion we need!!

Nhomar, you illustrated perfectly my point...

OpenERP S.A. has a policy about but fixing, but it is BROKEN !

   - How many bugs are reported without an OPW?
   - Does it mean they are not important bugs?
   - Where will they be fixed?  In trunk (at most)
   - Where are MOST of your clients?  On a stable release (definitely not
   running trunk)
   - How many bugs are not accepted by S.A., because "they know better"

So, what happens in the end?  You need to sleep with an open eye, checking
LP history to see if any of those bugs affects you... And that applies to
the whole community, not just to non paying members...

That is the reason of OCB community branches existance, but they are for
7.0 series...

As Carlos points out, Therp branch is THE 6.1 branch to follow.  They even
offered it to the community, but that represents money and time.  We need a
model to make it work, for the good of the whole community...

Please keep your comments coming, we need a strong community !!

<Rant>
Open source is more than OPW.  If we can not afford to pay OpenERP S.A.
with money, we do it in many different ways, like helping/coaching  other
members, reporting bugs (and fixes for them)  on LP, promoting brand
awareness, ...   you name it...

OPW is out of the question for small clients, and we don't dare to take it
to bigger clients as we ourselves don't trust OpenERP robustness (specially
for accounting and MRP).  There are so many open bugs (and a lot more not
reported)  on these areas, that make you wonder how is it possible to use
OpenERP with big, complex  operations in real life...

To name a few:  manual move creation, account_voucher and its many many
bugs, product costing, performance problems for stock and accounting,...

As for v7.0+, you are totally right again Nhomar.  They represent THE
FUTURE of OpenERP, but we need a version that works for THE PRESENT, and
that is  v6.1...

Besides, I am still not sure if after all the "simplifications"  S.A. is
applying, it could be called an ERP anymore....
</Rant>

Regards,
-Mario