Re: Status report on OpenERP CMS branch trunk-website-al....

huh, what are rambling about ?

Did you try the trunk-website-al branch, we want to provide all the tools to easily build the front-end part (website) of the openerp apps.

We did it for some of our apps, such as sale and event. You just need create the relevant controllers and views, it's straightforward. With this branch OpenERP become a full web application framework, while maintaining all its modular aspects (view, model and controller inheritance).

We are also converting all the rml reports into html views (we continue to use webkit to generate the pdf versions), those html views are extensible using the xpath mechanism, ie you can easily add a column on the SO by extending the report. The branch can be found in trunk-qweb-report ATM only 20 reports are currently converted.

I might be wrong, but it looks, to me, that this branch will obsolete your work on aktoor, except for projects where people want to mix two frameworks, openerp/python and rails/ruby.

Avoiding mixing frameworks was one of the key motivation behind the project, as i believe that the more unnecessary layers, the more bugs. OpenERP is now schematically HTTP (session, db matching, auth) -> Controllers (using html views) -> ORM. All the security is handled by the ORM we dont trust views nor controllers.

The changes to OpenERP are minimal: we introduce a new ir.ui.view type, the controllers layer has been improved (already in trunk) and that's it. Website define a new public user (like anonymous) this user is used when you are not loggued. Please check out the code.

And now the shocking news: as the project is now in bugfixing mode, we will start to write the documentation, and lower the barrier to developement with an easy quickstart guide and some scaffolding tools. The reason is that now we have a full stack framework we want to make it more friendly to newcomers. Documentation is now an high priority project, everybody can rejoice :)