Re: [Openerp-community-reviewer] Review day

Why not! IRC channel already exists on Freenode (#openobject).

For those interested to know what to review, we run a Jenkins job with openerp-nag to provide the links of the MPs to review. It fails if the number of MPs exceeeds 150 and send us an email. Here is the last run :
https://test.savoirfairelinux.com/job/OCA/73/console

We could run it every thursday night and get the email sent to the community list.

Maxime Chambreuil
+1 (514) 276-5468 #126

----- Mail original -----

Dear community,

I just receive a mail from Alexis De Lattre concerning the rules in place for the reviews within the OCA projects. His main point is that reviews take time and he ask me if we may change some rules to fastened the process. For reasons that we already have discussed, I mainly answer that changing the rules won't be a solution as they ensure the quality of our work.

I see various reasons why reviews take time:

1) The success of the OCA bring more and more reviews to they eye of the reviewers.

2) The people making the reviews (my-self included) make those reviews on their free time and if not, their company aren't paid for that job. This is more an investment that each of us value : it bring visibility, create a team spirit and in the end minimize the maintenance cost of our work as we aren't alone to maintain it (Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow).

3) Too few people invest time to make reviews and test the work of other without being part of the reviewer. May I remind here that EVERYBODY CAN REVIEW each others work and give his opinion. The community reviewer team only gives the commit right, not the right of making reviews and tests. So come on, help us, it's free :) !

4) Sometime people having their reviews made take months to answer the reviewer's remarks and that's not fair. If someone take the time to review your job, the minimum you can do is answering him I think !

Now there's answer on how to improve that in the reasons above:

* People not in the reviewer are more than welcome to starts making review, we need your opinion !

* People having their job reviewed, please answer the reviewers ASAP

Finally, based on the idea of Alexis, I want to suggest making an official day for the reviews. It'll be a day where every reviewers (member of the reviewer team or not) will review other's work. It'll be a define day in the week (or month) and we may setup a IRC channel for that purpose.

This may improve the debate and fastened the merge process. What do you think about setting such a day every friday ? Would you join the effort when you'll be able to ?

Regards,

Joël

--

camp to camp