From:  "Ana Juaristi";<ajuaristio@xxxxxxxxx>;
Date:  Mon, Feb 17, 2014 05:04 AM
To:  "Nhomar Hern??nde"<nhomar@xxxxxxxxx>;
Cc:  "openerp-community"<openerp-community@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "Fabien Pinckaers"<fp@xxxxxxxxxxx>;
Subject:  Re: [Openerp-community] OpenERP Marketing

My point about several sentences on document:
---------
Describe OpenERP in one sentence:

We use to say to our customers: Reduce your costs improving your processes.
 ---------
Focus marketing efforts on end-users
More than: developers, community members, companies

For me it's a wrong aproach. WE (your community, partners) are YOUR customers (valuable customers). As editor you should not only think on end users needs but integrators and partners needs because we are a clear bussiness line for you. If you consider that maybe on past you did not success with this bussiness line... reinvent/rethink the services you are offering to this specific market.

Say more --> end user 1 single user on saas suposes 420??/year

1 single ready partner is 3000?? income even if he does not sell any service for you. 8 to 1, so... better focussing one branding line considering partners as your customers and inventing services valuables for anyone, for you to monetize, for us to be guided. Too much times we are totally lost (at less we are) Ask people why they are evaluating every year about renewing or not their partnership. We need customer care even more than end users.

Strategy --> PULL --> Create Users Need   --> Generate Partners Revenue --> Revenue For OpenERP SA

It's probably much more easy for partners covering users needs by theirselves (happened historically) so why not...

Strategy -->
             Create Users Need  -->  Revenue For OpenERP SA +
            Cover Partners Need  -->  Revenue For OpenERP SA +

            Create Users Need --> Revenue for partners

--------

NO DOUBT About Open Source:
Values: Open Source IS  customer value, Just BIGGEST OpenERP value against closed solutions. Customers want to cover their needs whatever they are. You/we can do that because solution is OpenSource and it's the best on market
 The top 3 values of OpenERP, by order of importance:

Easy (TRUE)

Integrated (TRUE)

Full featured (allows to handle your business custom issues) --> IMHO this is not true, so I would not include as one of top 3 values. Not OpenERP nor any other ERP on market is full featured. We would say that it has got the basis to cover any area of any company but it's not possible building one single full featured area for all companies. Let's see that you have got more than 1000 community modules published complementing / extending any area that would not be necesary if OpenERP was full featured on basis. I think you can never say any software is full featured because it causes false expectatives. You can say that almost a high percentage of functionality required on each industry is covered for the big number of existent modules but you can't say to a company they will be full covered, so you can not say OpenERP is full featured.

OpenSource (I add as value)

Other possibilities:

Flexible (TRUE)

Affordable (TRUE)

No Implementation (for SMEs): from a service market to a product one? --> VERY VERY complex to afford at this moment. Any installing would need an implementation  to be in production. Maybe small set of services but most of companies will need assistance to arrive to start-up otherwise they will try demo for few days/weeks and then will leave.

------------------

Don't try to speak and look like a big corporation. OpenERP is a SME  -->Why? Why do you want to avoid big markets/companies? Why do you think that OpenERP is not able of competing with big ERPs on market? Why did you change your mind in only 1 year?

There is enough functionality build on old versions in OpenERP to cover infinite needs in a company. Why not having 2 different lines / targer on market? Why not helping community somehow (build an strategy with crowdfunding or something, I don't know) to have all biggest/best community modules migrated to V8 as soon as possible to be able to offer it to big companies as we use to do on past? Why don't you think a big company is better customer/revenue than 10 small SME?
 Sorry but I never understood that point. It's not a critic it's just sincere questions that I try to answer myself and I can not find response.

------------
OpenERP is not an ERP, but a suite of Business Apps --> This is new aproach for very small SMEs. Usually people think about an app (google app store) as an small application for free or costing less than 1?? that they use for a very specific task. Noone is going to pay much services for something that costs 35??/month. This aproach is very nice for very small SMEs and single people/users on SAAS aproach. Nothing to say about that.

But... everybody knows that one ERP is very costing solution that is covering business processes. Nevermind if it's a suit of business apps or it's a suit of modules inside a solution or even one single solution covering eveything. So... people wants to pay for one ERP and recognize the effort of starting-up an ERP in their company and even recognize the need of having an enterprise contract with editor or partner.
 An ERP is serious costing thing. An app is funny pretty application to use on my laptop or mobile with no cost or very low cost. Both lines goes through 2 very different target of customers.

 Usually our target has been ERP wanters but... problem is trying to define recursive incomes/services from them.

That is with SAAS = Difficult to sale implementation project + small recurrent monthly income

            with corporate = Easy to sale implementation project + no recursive income or very complex defining recurrent income.

 ---
should we change the OpenERP name? ABSOLUTELY NO!!! Please don't do that.

-------------------
OpenERP is quite disruptive and people don't understand what we do until they can play with it

I would say that people don't understant what you do even if they can play with it. That is... sometimes there is so big changes from one version to another that people is not ready to asume them (I include myself). I think it's correct that you not only explain things before you release but even before starting to develop like you made with new WMS. If you let people collaborate on defining future and giving opinion on hugh changes like you are doing now... everything will be much more easy on future.
 ---

even not understood as most community members went to the wrong direction by developing connectors to third party ecommerce --> Just to say... connectors to thid party for OpenERP exists even for 5.0 so, it's not something new built on 2013. There is a lot of ecommerce solutions on market that has been used for longtime and one of our target market is ecommerce shops wanting an ERP. So... it's not going to the wrong direction but covering a market need.

We make ourself become comparable to SAP, but we are not (we don't want to be perceived like an ERP) --> WHY? Make compatible both aproaches. Only with app aproach you will obtain small companies. WE NEED bigger companies that will be very complex to convince if they don't see an ERP behind OpenERP.

My 2 cents.
Thank you very much for opening the possibility of giving our opinion about all this. Things are really evolving to the right direction.
 Ana

.