Re: v8 OCB

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 5:26 PM, Stefan Rijnhart <stefan@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02/25/2014 03:02 PM, Raphael Valyi wrote:
> > Hello Stefan
> >
> > Then eventually, in a pure Launchpad scenario, may be the easiest
> > would be have an automated replica of OCB v7 back into the main
> > official project (using automatic replay script that won't fail
> > because it's just a replica of OCB v7).
> >
> > And then we could merge both from that OCB v7 replica in official
> > project AND from official v8. Merging from branches both inside the
> > same official project would make merging possible.
>
> Hi Raphael,
>
> Not sure I follow you there about impossible merges. If on my part, I
> was unclear about the initiation of the 8.0 branch: I have in mind that
> we start out with a custom replay of the OCB-specific changes in 7.0 to
> a fresh branch of OpenERP 8.0, taking into account which related bugs
> have already been fixed in current trunk. This would be just during the
> kick off, not a continuous process. After that moment, any OCB specific
> changes to 7.0 would have to fend for themselves to get in OCB 8.0.
>
> Cheers,
> Stefan.

Hello Stefan, sounds like a valid approach too. However I wonder if that
won't be quite much more work.
As an example, imagine when OpenERP SA merge the largely refactored stock
module, when you will replay any stock related commit of v7 OCB, chances
are you will need to have to manually fix the conflict because replay won't
work. So potentially, n OCB bugfix in the stock/stock.py file will give you
manual work.

Instead, with my proposal of merging v8 into a new branch of v7 OCB, I
think you will have only a conflict to to fix only once in every
conflicting file, I feel like it's much less (with my attempt at saas-2
time I had like only 10 conflicting files to resolve manually).

Am I missing something? What do you think?

Regards

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant