Re: Odoo License restriction?

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:57 PM, Axel Mendoza Pupo <aekroft@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> That's helps a lot, thanks. My modules right now are apart from the core,
> the idea is to get integrated into the API ecosystem. They are tools to be
> used in an ESB environment to send and receive mails while developing web
> services. Right now they live as part as a module, so you said that if the
> module is licensed as AGPL 3, then it can be used as a dependency and the
> rest of the software could remains LGPL without get contaminated with the
> AGPL 3 restrictions??

If I understand correctly, you said your program in an Odoo module. Then
yes, it has to be distributed as AGPL 3.

Now yes, the rest of the software that is LGPL, can use that module calling
it with an API (XML/RPC, JSON...) without being contaminated. That's what
you mean when you said an ESB would call it, right?

Now basically, if instead a program does
from openerp import fields, orm or whatever
then it that program needs to be licensed under AGPL. That's the case of an
Odoo module with Python code for instance.

Now if some 3rd party tool is importing that contaminated AGPL module as a
Python module, then yes, that program get its overall distribution
contaminated as AGPL. But calling with a webservice would be OK.

An other possible architecture without web service could be:

   - LGPL software code imports your program that is licensed under
   whatever license
   - the Odoo module also imports your program.

The the wrapping code importing your program should be AGPL, but the
program itself can have whatever license because it doesn't depend on
Odoo's code. This is the same principle how NVidia graphic drivers work
around the GPL restrictions of the Linux Kernel and they even earn some
very special love from the Linux community with this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_36yNWw_07g&feature=kp

So you see, there are lot's of opportunities to build nice products and
nice product reputations ;-)

--
Raphaël Valyi
Founder and consultant