Re: Licenses guidelines for OCA modules

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 6:09 AM, Yannick Vaucher <
yannick.vaucher@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Most developers dislike redundancy, thus, all are tempted to reduce the
> size of source code by reducing or completly removing redundant license
> from source files. [1]
>
> Moreover, when writing a module you often have py files with only few
> lines, thus the header takes a lot of place.
>
> I think it is time to write down what we can and cannot do about AGPL
> license.
>

> Actual common use is to attach the full header at start of each source
> file. This is what is recommended by
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html
>
> To be said I'm completely against removing completely the header I think a
> minimal copyright must be present in each source file to be read by the one
> who opens the file.
>
> To be minimalist, from what I read there thought, we could also accept
> minimal header with license like this
>
> # Copyright 2015 <author>
> # <notice where to find full licence>
>
> (with full license in __openerp__.py for exemple)
> Exemple here [2]
>

> Our options:
> a. We keep full header on each source file. And accept only this one.
>
> b. We define a minimal header template like this as an altenative (mostly
> taken from David Beal's proposal):
>
> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
> # Author: <author name>
> # Copyright 2015 <company or author>
> # License AGPL version 3 or later
> # See license in __openerp__.py or http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.txt

Here we can do it better, there are some guides about this:

# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

__author__ = "Full Name(email)"
__copyright__ = "Copyright (C) YEAR FULL NAME"
__license__ = "AGPL 3.0"
__version__ = "1.0"

So in pythonic way we must add LICENSE file in each module,
and as best practice AUTHORS.txt and add Full Name (email) as list as
make contributions.

All of module templates can implement it and help us.

Regards,