Re: Licenses guidelines for OCA modules

On 12/01/15 17:01, Ovnicraft wrote:
Here we can do it better, there are some guides about this:

# -*- coding: utf-8  -*-

__author__=  "Full Name(email)"
__copyright__=  "Copyright (C) YEAR FULL NAME"
__license__=  "AGPL 3.0"
__version__=  "1.0"

So in pythonic way we must add LICENSE file in each module,
and as best practice AUTHORS.txt and add Full Name (email) as list as make contributions.

I back this proposal.

No matter if it is possible to find authors by repositories, copyright and license information should be within the source code files. Take in care that open source files can be distributed out of repositories and this makes really difficult to locate author(s) and license(s).

For example, it is quite common that code from other developers, installed on our customers systems, come to our company to work with. And many times it is really difficult to discover who are the actual authors, the actual license(s) (when not in Odoo) and the actual copyright date(s).

Sometimes we discover that info only after searching for parts of that code on Google et al., but many other times it is impossible to know with enough precision, and, legally speaking, we would be forced to replace all that code. This last situation may mean a huge problem and unnecessary effort.

Indeed, many times we discover that somebody has taken over and re-licensed/copyrighted the code of original authors who didn't include their copyright information within their files. Who is morally guilty in such a case?

Just my 2 cents,
--
Alberto Barrionuevo, Director
Grupo OPENTIA