Re: vat computation and rounding issues

2011/11/3 Lorenzo Battistini <lorenzo.battistini@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> 2011/11/3 David Rinnan <david@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> The rounding on invoices in OpenERP is useless. I am talking about the actual rounding figure for the total amount. We cannot use it and have a product called rounding instead.
>> Rounding should never affect the VAT. I am rounding, not the Tax office, so my revenue should be affected, not the VAT. Positive or negative rounding should go towards an account in the bookkeping.
>
> I would avoid talking about rounding, as the issue concerns
> differences between computation methods.

I try to better explain my point of view. Sorry for my previous too
abrupt answer :-)
By the way, recent considerations about float versus decimal roundings
was made in the following thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/openerp-expert-accounting@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg01373.html

About VAT and computation methods, I would like to add something.
You say "Rounding should never affect the VAT", but at some point you
have to round, or do you have an accounting with infinite precision?
This is in fact the main difference between the two methods: how many
times you round.
Citing the "Survey about VAT calculation on invoices"[1], "It is
important to observe that when computing by line, the amount is
rounded in every line. On the other hand, when computing by column
rounding takes place only once"

Regards

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1hZpHSmWyQ74Fa7jilYxaxX5QE47C6fCIk4DWBlsMYwg/edit?hl=en_US