Re: On reporting systems for OpenERP

Hi Simone,

It's true it's a bit difficult to dive into this module with "just" a first look :) ! But with some explanation, it became very clear ;)

The result of all "list" or "tree" report will just look like simple table, with different lines and levels, header will be grayed. Basically, you build a dict with values for each lines and columns, and the report engine do the rest (page numbering, report of header, cut too long sentences, indent etc...).

The result of Gantt report is also very good but, doesn't work anymore for this removing of function from Tiny (ARGGGH !). You have barre of different size and colors representing "duration" data (like tasks), a scalable timeline in the X axe (like year, month and so), and on the right you give the "tree" structure (like project, or analytical account).

It's true you need to "compile" the code and restart the server when you change something. But as I say, this reporting system is mainly  design to

- Render listing with hard computation easily, without caring about RML stuff and things.
- Render tree structure easily
- Handle Gantt chart printing

In those cases, you should probably restart the server also with RML report, because of all treatment you need.

In case you're interested a bit more, feel free to ask..

Regards,

Joël

--

Joël Grand-Guillaume