Re: enhanced navigation PO/SO <-> PACKLIST <-> INVOICE

IMO, the answer to this "navigation" issue is really close to answering "what business process this object is part of?" If we don't have a business process definition, we will always have an incomplete answer.

For instance, imagine a simple B2B selling process: "Encode SO (draft) -> Approve credit -> Confirm SO -> Picking -> Invoicing -> Payment". Linking SO/Picking/Invoice would be incomplete, clearly the users would want to be able to navigate through the custom "Credit Evaluation" and "Payment". If it involves manufacturing, the related production orders are also relevant. Not only navigation, but listing state, reference, user responsible, etc.

Yes, I'm talking about business process management. Sounds complicated but we're almost there with our workflow engine. We only have to improve a few concepts and, more importantly, make it very easy to build/change/use by making its user interface and API simple and consistent. For example, all objects that are process "documents" should have a standard "Show process" tab/right panel button/wizard that would list every "document" created during the process. Every user would have a "Task List" form that would list what is pending in every process.

Maybe it's an effort for the 6.0 release of more, but being process oriented and having an excellent BPM engine integrated would really set OpenERP apart.

Albert Cervera i Areny escreveu:
A Dimecres, 16 de desembre de 2009, Raphaël Valyi va escriure:
Finally this doesn't address the point about the specific links we speak
about being somewhat redundant with the history tabs of the sale order
lines. Any though about those points?

What we did in Koo is that using Ctrl it's possible to open related records (many2one, one2many, many2many and relate) in another tab instead of a new window. I think that solves many cases. The main problem is that in some cases (invoice for example) it doesn't open the appropiate form view (for example) but we've got some ideas to solve that. This allows integrators to choose which relations they want to show as fields, and which they leave as toolbar buttons.

Not sure that solves your concerns.