Re: handling deprecations in the source code of OpenERP

On 19/09/12 13:38, Raphael Valyi wrote:
Hello,

just one word to say that I totally support Alexandre's suggestion.

I must back Alexandre and Raphaël positions,

Till now OpenERP had a totally funky deprecation process. Many things in
v7 have been deprecated silently in some nightly wild commit without any
previous warning and things have been the same in the past.

And the deprecation process is not the only funky process, alas. Facing the growing developper community, much saner approach seem required if you want to uncover and leverage potential partner work forces.

If OpenERP really wants to hire a partner network who invest in OpenERP
and forward some profit to OpenERP SA, then they need to completely
change that deprecation process and make it up to the mark. IMHO,
Alexandre's suggestion certainly improves the situation greatly: else we
would still be forced to grep inconsistent deprecation warnings in the
output log, nobody would do it and release policy would keep funky and
below what is expected from something aiming at being a prominent ERP.

Accepting these patches could be the opportunity to show the community your involvement in making OpenERP more community friendly and more mature as a solid opponent to commercial solutions.

Let's move the tooling toward the industry standards, you can be sure
that some developers will see the benefit, start using it and educate
the community further about more productive/sustainable development
practices.

Also, these words are not just buzz words: review pre-commit, real unit tests coverage, enforced code conventions, code metrics. I would be quite happy to learn what are your positions on these topics.

Regards,

--
Valentin LAB
Ingénieur Développement