getting feedback (was: Web widget for Editable Tree views barely usable in trunk)

On 07/12/2012 10:19, Xavier Morel wrote:
> Sure, these issues should have been found and fixed during the merge
> proposal[0], and the interaction model of the list view could have
> rather easily been altered back then if it was unsatisfactory. However
> they were not, and your messages are pretty much the first external
> feedback I've seen since the new list edition was merged *back in July*.
> I could have missed it of course, but I noticed your messages so…

Hello,

I'll chime in, because it seems to me that there is a deep issue here.

Partners tend to work on the stable version of OpenERP, or even on the
LTS versions. This is at least the case for Camptocamp, but I'm pretty
sure we are not alone in this case. The quite opaque development process
of trunk makes it very hard for the external eye to follow what is
happening on OpenERP SA's side : the kanban tracker for new features is
not public (cf. discussion on this list with Olivier Dony a few weeks
ago), so all we get (AFAICT) are the raw merge proposals. Of course
technically it is 'enough', but to say the least, it is not very
convenient if OpenERP SA is expecting some feedback from us. This last
point is by no mean obvious to me. What I groked of OpenERP SA's
business model is (to say it bluntly) "the editor provides a framework,
and the partners to the end-customer projects and sell support contracts
which fund the framework development and support of LTS version)". Sure,
partners are free to submit merge proposals, but in my experience the
flow does not work very well in that direction.

All in all, this leads to an asymetric situation where the editor ships
a product with what it has decided to put inside, and partners get to
use this and hope that the editor has taken care to design it well and
test it in depth. IOW, since partners don't feel very involved in the
choices made by OpenERP SA, it is very hard for them to get an incentive
to monitor the development of trunk until the release of the next LTS is
about to happen and they have to think about starting new projects for
their customers using that version. Which means that feed back often
comes in late.

This state of affairs saddens me. I'd be happy to discuss this, as I
have some ideas about improving the situation, but don't know if / how
they can be applied as I have no ideas of OpenERP SA's constraints.

Looking forward to OpenERP SA's releasing 7.0,

--
Alexandre Fayolle
Chef de Projet

Camptocamp France SAS