Re: New connectors

From this: http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2012/04/25/rabbitmq-performance-measurements-part-2/

The slowest scenario, persistent messages (for guaranteed delivery scenarios) RabbitMQ can get more then 4000 msg/sec. Remember those stuff are designed for massive scalability.

Compared to direct HTTP calls, in most cases it would provide a way faster experience since most operations could be done async.

For example, imagine a scenario where you need to create/update a product with Magento. By using directly the synchronous HTTP API, you would POST, wait for Magento to process the request and await a 200 OK response. Depending on the latency it could block user interaction for a long time. Additionally, if the Magento service is for any reason unreachable, the user will see an exception.

Using a message queue, you could asynchronously send the message to a queue, require message persistence for guaranteed delivery and forget about it. When it's ready, Magento (probably an "adapter") could pick the message and process the product creation request.

The drawback is that for a brief moment, you lose synchronization - you've got a new product on OpenERP and no product in Magento. But in most cases, one can live with that.

The other major advantage, is that you decouple both systems. OpenERP need not to know about Magento. All it need to know is that it must post a message in a canonical data model (probably very close to OpenERP data model) to given queue when it create/update a product. The receiving part (usually a thin adapter) need not to know about OpenERP, only that when a message arrives in a given queue, it need to process the message. If you ever decide to change Magento to Prestashop or Spree, no change to OpenERP is necessary, you just have to change the thin adapter.

BTW, I'm using ActiveMQ (JMS+Stomp) to integrate OpenERP, our legacy manufacturing system and POS'es which are geographically dispersed on crappy ADSL connections.