Re: New connectors

Helo Cloves,

nice to see to are still hanging around, some inline remarks:

The drawback is that for a brief moment, you lose synchronization - you've
> got a new product  on OpenERP and no product in Magento. But in most cases,
> one can live with that.

Well yes, and today we already live with that. Because synchronization is
slow and not guaranteed, today the catalog exportation, inventory
exportation and shipping synchronization are all scheduled jobs anyway and
these aren't any bottleneck even I would say in the current connector.

> The other major advantage, is that you decouple both systems. OpenERP need
> not to know about Magento. All it need to know is that it must post a
> message in a canonical data model (probably very close to OpenERP data
> model)

Nope, unfortunately, with its EAV tables and internal modeling Magento ends
up with a pretty different data model and API than OpenERP.

> to given queue when it create/update a product. The receiving part
> (usually a thin adapter) need not to know about OpenERP, only that when a
> message arrives in a given queue, it need to process the message. If you
> ever decide to change Magento to Prestashop or Spree, no change to OpenERP
> is necessary, you just have to change the thin adapter.

This is more or less what we do already, just change the interface by
overriding things, even if we have no queue yet. It's only this way we were
able to create a new Prestashop or OpenbravoPOS connector that quick..

> BTW, I'm using ActiveMQ (JMS+Stomp) to integrate OpenERP, our legacy
> manufacturing system and POS'es which are geographically dispersed on
> crappy ADSL connections.

That would indeed help increase the reliability and monitoring of these
jobs as Guewen said.

Overall, I would say that they are many things more important to evolve
than the Queue API in these connector. Nevertheless, if it's contributed,
it's still a nice to have thing. Also I totally respect the RabbitMQ module
form Anybox. I just said once on Twitter that unfortunately,
Magentoerpconnect and its dependencies is already a hassle to track and
install, specially for non specialized third parties and this largely comes
from the OpenERP naive module management system I already highlighted in
other posts. Adding some 3 queue modules more and a new piece of
infrastructure will certainly not help here although once installed the
connector could be better. So eventually if we could reuse a simple queue
built'in Postgres with the ability to send message upon in from outside
OpenERP using some standard protocol, I'm all for that, I'm not sure yet
the connectivity part is easy, I've seen a Ruby solution over Postgresql
but none in Python.

Regards.

--
Raphaël Valyi