Re: OpenShot 1.1 testing

On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Jonathan Thomas
<jonathan.oomph@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dan,
> I have removed the 2 unneeded lines (rescale & distort), and replaced
> the "sdl" consumer with the "sdl_preview" consumer.  I have also added
> all of the "refresh" hooks.
>
> The only issue I have found is a flicker when going from a speed of 0
> to a speed of 1 on the producer.  So, when you click Play / Pause, it
> flashes black.  I also noticed that the "sdl" consumer seems a bit
> delayed, from the position() that the producer reports.  In fact, I
> think the "sdl" consumer was also a bit delayed, but it did not flash
> black when pausing.

Yes, these are the quirks I mentioned in chat. Part of the flashing is
due to switching from updating a X drawable in RGB to writing YUV into
a XVideo port. Part of this problem is due to using a scaled RGB
gamut. A straight YUV-RGB conversion will not use the full range of
RGB values, which can be undesirable for processing in RGB. Therefore,
MLT does scaled conversion to and from RGB. This also simplifies
integrating still photos and computer generated imagery, which use
full range RGB.

Some of the flickering might also be due to the postion related issue...

> I'm not sure if there is anything we can do to solve these issues, but
> any thoughts would be appreciated.

The position reported by the producer is correct, but you are watching
the consumer, not the producer. You see there is a "render ahead"
buffer that absorbs the impact that frames that might take longer than
real time to produce and implement the frame-dropping for real time
(normal speed) playback. So, the position on the producer is ahead of
the consumer. The consumer fires a consumer-frame-show event
(http://www.mltframework.org/doxygen/event.html) that supplies a frame
object as an argument. Then, you can get the position from the frame
using get('_position'). (In C API, there is a mlt_frame_get_position
that I should add to mlt++.)

I know you can setup a parameter-less event listener in Python - see
the ruby/play.rb for an example. However, you will not want to
wait_for an event; you will need to setup an event listener and be
able to get the frame parameter, which is a bit more complicated. In
mlt/src/swig/mlt.i you can see something special to setup a listener
for Ruby, and we might need something along these lines. I need to
time to explore this, but I am busy for a couple of months with other
commitments.

I will try to find a little time to give the python listener some
attention, or you or someone else can look into it (it is at the
intersection of C++, Python, and swig). Or, you make this behavior
switchable in your code through a python variable until you decide
after some experimentation or feedback, make it a hidden config file
setting for power users, or even in Preferences. It is OK to send the
refresh property update to the sdl consumer - it will just ignore it.

--
+-DRD-+