Re: interested hobby developer

As requested, here's some public links to the mockup and explanation (I'm
guessing the mailing list software isn't too keen on forwarding everyone a
several-MB attachment).

Mockup PDF: http://resplect.com/sharedump/openshot/openshot_mockup.pdf
Mockup Explanation ODT:
http://resplect.com/sharedump/openshot/mockup_explanation.odt

Can anyone give me some insight onto the current progress of libopenshot?
Is it really just an idea still, or is it at least partly functional?

Is it a layer of Gstreamer like GES/GNonLin, or is it building on ffmpeg
like MLT?  Something else entirely?  I had thought that OpenShot was
basically just a PyGTK UI on top of MLT's python bindings.  Taking on the
task of writing a whole low-level C-based multimedia framework seems like a
really big step up in difficulty/complexity.  Not meaning this as a rude
question, but is the current OpenShot team really up to it?  From the
outside looking in it seems like a bit of a not-invented-here type issue.
Hoping someone in the know can convince me that OpenShot is still the best
video editor project to try and contribute too, that it's not about to tank
as all the developers get bogged down in the complexities of their new
media framework.

Even just knowing that libopenshot has actually made some progress and what
its currently capable of would go a long way.  Anyone able to comment?