Re: Ironic docs & Service name standards

On Wed, Jul 8, 2015 at 1:16 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 06/25/2015 04:10 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:
>
>> For context: we are in this situation because of legal names, where some
>> of the original governance allowed projects to use "OpenStack" in the
>> docs as part of their name very early on. So, sometimes the phrasing
>> needed "service" to help with readability. Also, legally we were
>> required to use module due to branding with the OpenStack name.
>>
>> So, the convention is:
>>
>>   * Uppercase first letter of first word only.
>>   * Do not use OpenStack in the name of the service.
>>   * Use module if it is consuming other services (such as heat).
>>   * Use service in general as that is mostly what is being added as
>>     projects.
>>
>> Now that we have the interop and brand guidelines, the use of OpenStack
>> in a name in the docs is not needed, but we still need to be very
>> careful and considerate in naming consistently.
>>
>> Bare metal fits our first naming rule.
>>

> Anne, I saw your comment on:
> https://review.openstack.org/194230
>
> So, changing to "Block storage", "Object storage", "Bare metal" looks
> strange to me. But I'm neither a native speaker nor an editor.

Heh, my thinking is anything will look strange to us after editing Block
Storage for years.

I really don't want to get into the explanations for Key-Value vs.
Key-value so I prefer the initial cap everywhere for simplicity. I'm of
course open to discussion. If this list really can't imagine these
guidelines working I can revisit.

> Looking forward to the patch - and perhaps a short list as overview to
> review.
>
> Btw. did you see the thread "[openstack-dev] Should project name be
> uppercase or lowercase?"

I think I replied on the review then on the thread, do you see it now?

Anne