Re: Bug triaging issue

On 01/10/15 06:37, Lana Brindley wrote:

On 30/09/15 16:41, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
Let me open a side discussion:

I also see far too many bug reports getting asked for.

We have been liberal about "obvious" bugs. So, a typo does not need a
bug report. A one-line addition of an OpenStack project that is part o
the big tent to a list of repos doesn't need one (a complete new chapt
er
needs IMHO something) etc.

Some people just create those but let's not complicate contribution an
if a patch is obvious, include it.

There's no sense to create a bug report "like X is missing in list Y"
and then confirm it, and fix it.

I absolutely agree with you here, and it's more or less what I was
trying to get to by saying we needed to trust everyone's judgement. If
you notice a typo, you don't need a bug, and if you have a bug, you
don't need it triaged before you fix it.

We need to allow people to have control over what they're doing, while
still maintaining good quality control. That's a tricky balance to
manage, and I don't have any brilliant ideas outside of 'keep talking to
people about this'. Happy to hear your collective wisdom :)

+1 Completely agree. This is what I was trying to get at with the 'case study' as well.

Instead of looking at the technical content, we went straight to getting hung up on whether a bug was triaged or not. That doesn't make sense to me :)

Regards,

Tom