openstack-qa-team team mailing list archive

Re: Tempest Gating

JB> Oh, I thought you were talking about gating;

Well, I'm (incorrectly) using them interchangeably. I guess I better
stop that before someone gets hurt! :)

JB> the check pipeline tests patches independently, exactly as they are
JB> uploaded.  So if you upload three dependent patches, it will run
JB> tests three times.  Since it's completely parallel, efficiency isn't
JB> quite as much of a concern.  We could apply the same optimization
JB> ("this patch won't land because the one it depends on fails"), but
JB> it may be useful to do a full test/report anyway on patchset upload
JB> because a different set of tests may fail for that change -- you
JB> wouldn't want to have to get the one ahead of it working just to
JB> find out what's wrong with a change.

Okay, fair enough. I've just punished the jenkins machine pretty roughly
for the last several days, and so making them dependent would have saved
some turnaround time (for me and others). But, I suppose that's not
always going to be the case.

Thanks!

--
Dan Smith