openstack-qa-team team mailing list archive

Re: Tempest Gating

On 08/21/2012 05:45 PM, Dan Smith wrote:
> In other suites, I've seen an XFAIL result used to mark tests that we
> know are failing right now so that they're not SKIPped like tests that
> are missing some component, but rather just not fatal to the task at
> hand. Maybe something like that would be useful in tempest? If I found a
> bug in Nova right now and wanted to get a test into tempest ASAP to poke
> it, submitting as XFAIL would (a) not break Jenkins because the test
> failed (as expected) and (b) raise a flag when the test started to pass
> to make sure that it gets un-marked as XFAIL.

This would be ideal! Unfortunately, I don't know of a way to do this
with nosetests/unittest(2) in Python. Very open to suggestions, though :)

> DW> They may not be caused by the patch at hand, but servers and volumes
> DW> going into error status definitely signal issues, whether they be in
> DW> code or environment. I don't have access to the Tempest CI
> DW> environment so I don't have much insight into those issues
> DW> specifically, though there might be some additional error checking
> DW> that we can do to get more information on what is going wrong.
>
> Yeah, I've been trying to reproduce the issues locally, as I'm happy to
> fix them up if I can figure out what the problem is. However, I feel
> like I'm flying blind a bit, without a view into the CI machine itself :)

I believe Jim Blair has addressed this in followup emails...

> DW> I'm doing what I can Dan to get your patches reviewed. The trick
> DW> being that since there is a dependency chain between most of the
> DW> commits, it adds a level of complexity. Jay, who's done most of the
> DW> CI setup thus far, is out of country, so I'm trying to find other
> DW> folks I can reach out to help stabilize the environment.
>
> Yeah, where is that slacker? :)

Right now? Venice, Italy. In the last few days, Milan, Istanbul, Sofia.
Next couple days, Florence then Rome, then home. Back on the 29th. So
sorry to slack off so much! ;)

Best,
-jay