Re: Deprecating nova-objectstore

>What's the difference between an image and an object?  They're all just blobs of bits as far as I > thought.

I think of an image as data+metadata.

The data is stored as objects where the image can span multiple objects.

The metadata maybe stored in the form of a manifest-file, or, as with Glance, is stored as an entry in the registry.

As has been discussed on the ML, there is a need for a container format (OVF?), which can encapsulate both the data and metadata if we want to be able to shuffle around fully contained images.

As it stands with Glance, the data and metadata are separate; so, in order to replicate an image, you need to pull the image's objects and, in a separate step, fetch its metadata.