Re: Deprecating nova-objectstore

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 2:19 PM, Thierry Carrez <thierry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Jay Pipes wrote:
>> I think the big difference is that clients would be talking to Glance
>> and its RESTlike/JSON API, not to an S3 API front-end like
>> nova-objectstore.
>>
>> The big question is whether OpenStack wants to support Amazon S3 as an
>> objectstore at all, instead of just Swift, which now can communicate
>> via an S3 API (http://swift.openstack.org/misc.html#module-swift.common.middleware.swift3).
>
> OK, my understanding was that euca-upload-bundle is talking directly to
> an S3-like backend, so if we want to support "the EC2 way of registering
> images" we need some S3-compatible server...

Precisely. This is why nova-objectstore cannot be removed even if
Glance supports S3 as a backend :)

> For serious deployments I guess we would use Swift S3 frontend. For demo
> cases, do we need a simpler solution ? And if yes, which one ?

Depends on whether supporting euca-upload-bundle is going to be a
priority once alternate openstack-API-speaking client tools are
completed... :)

My guess is that it won't, and nova-objectstore will eventually move
into /ext or /plugin for those who will want to continue using
euca-upload-bundle directly.

-jay