Re: Review days for nova-core members

On Feb 21, 2011, at 1:34 PM, Andy Smith wrote:
> Sure, we just need to remove it automatically selecting "Nova Core" and likewise as a reviewer for you so that people are forced to explicitly add a reviewer.

sorry to come in late in the discussion, but i believe this is a bad idea.

imho, this raises another barrier between potential developers wanting to contribute and actually contributing. specifically, it assumes that a newbie to the project "knows" a nova-core member.

they don't -- i am not sure the nova-core list is even publicly posted.

just in my own case, it took me several days of signing contracts, figuring out the toolset/standards, revising the patches, adding myself to wikis and hanging out of IRC before i could get single line of code into nova. at any of those points, i could have simply said *** (expletive deleted) …

bottom line, we should be making it easier for people to contribute not harder :)

having said that, i understand what you are trying to do.
so, as a counter proposal, can we implement a round-robin or smart routing (based on file names or modules) reviewer assignment ?
failing that, could we assign everything to ttx (sorry) and he can assign reviewers ?
failing that, could we give them a list of potential reviewers (with some good instructions) to choose from ?

please correct me if i misconstrued your proposal
/k