Re: Multinode installation (with devstack on the master)

Devstack isn't for production.  I recommend using packages (even if
they are your own).

repeat: WHAT FOLLOWS IS NOT FOR PRODUCTION!

If you are just experimenting with a multi-node dev deploy - you can
set a few options in your nova.conf:

--sql_connection=mysql://$MYSQL_USER:$PASS@$MASTER_IP/nova
--rabbit_host=$MASTER_IP
--rabbit_password=$RABBIT_PASS
--glance_api_servers=$MASTER_IP:9292

My team (creators of devstack) do a multi-node devstack deploys every
day (for development - for production we use crowbar/chef, ubuntu, and
package)

With devstack on multiple nodes you can create a localrc how you
normally would then add:

master node:  you need all the services
ENABLED_SERVICES=n-vol,g-api,g-reg,key,n-api,n-cpu,n-net,n-sch,n-vnc,horizon,mysql,rabbit,swift,openstackx

child nodes: you only need the workers
MYSQL_HOST=$MASTER_IP
RABBIT_HOST=$MASTER_IP
GLANCE_HOSTPORT=$MASTER_IP:9292
ENABLED_SERVICES=n-vol,n-cpu,n-net,n-api

notes:

* we run n-api on each node to provide the metadata service (you can
also setup iptables routes to forward requests to the metadata service
to the main nova-api node).  We plan on switching to
https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/bin/nova-api-metadata on
the child nodes.
* we use --network_manager=nova.network.manager.FlatDHCPManager with
--force_dhcp_release --multi_host and --send_arp_for_ha