Re: Gerrit minimum review time frame

I understand the sentiment that leads one to want "minimum" review times; there have been occasions where it's frustrated me that something I objected to got merged without my seeing it or while I was trying to comment.

However, I'd like to present several arguments against a minimum review time:

  1. If you don't trust the judgment of everyone with the commit bit then you've already got a problem that a minimum time won't solve.
  2. There are good (and getting better) gating mechanisms in place to prevent truly broken code from being merged.
  3. You can always propose improvements to code you don't like.
  4. Impeding development by an arbitrary time restriction is discouraging to developers.

And in the end, it comes down to this: the "right" amount of time is not a fixed quantity.

This is a problem to be solved by leadership and community management--particularly in setting expectations for core reviewers behavior--not automated barriers.

    - Gabriel