openupgrade-drivers team mailing list archive

Re: Merging of saas-3 and openupgrade

Hi Valentin,

thank you for your work. When porting OpenUpgrade to a new release of
OpenERP, we simply take the diff of OpenUpgrade against the
corresponding OpenERP branch and apply the framework parts to the new
release of OpenERP. That still seems the proper way to go, and I will
carry out the first iteration of this within the next couple of weeks.
Your input below about this is valuable though.

Ok, do you mean you don't proceed with merge, but instead work with a pile of patches that you maintain on the target OpenERP branch ? Or are you speaking only of a big diff (a pile of one patch) ?

Apart from the framework parts, I had expected the migration scripts for
the base module up until SAAS3, but these seem to be just the migration
scripts for 6.1 -> 7.0. It is this part of your work which is the most
valuable to the project. Do you have such migration scripts?

Well, saas-3 version is recognised as 7.saas~3 version, and will create these directory in the "migrations" directories.

We definitively have written a few specific scripts:

$ ls */migrations/7.saas*/*-*
account/migrations/7.saas~3.1.1/pre-migrations.py
account_payment/migrations/7.saas~3.1.1/pre-migrations.py
calendar/migrations/7.saas~3.1.0/post-migrations.py
calendar/migrations/7.saas~3.1.0/pre-migration.py
crm/migrations/7.saas~3.1.0/post-migrations.py
email_template/migrations/7.saas~3.1.1/pre-migrations.py

Some of these are very concrete and pragmatic way to tackle probably specific issues we have encountered. Some of these script need rewriting and we'll learn a lot of your review as we have taken a very naive approach to this for now. But we are willing to learn any insights you would have to share with us.

For example, for the 'calendar' module: 'base_calendar' module was renamed 'calendar', and model 'crm.meeting' was merged with 'calendar.event'. We have resorted to do a full copy of crm_meeting table in calendar_event table (and other related table) in the post-migration phase of module 'calendar'.

What is the best way to share our work ? (is the directory name '7.saas~3.1.0' okay with you ?) Should we simply put this branch on launchpad without further modifications ?

We currently have migrated 2 small databases with openupgrade and our scripts from 7.0 to saas~3 ... this is far from enough to have any faith on the solidity of this code but hopefully can provide some inspiration for others...

Regards
--
Valentin LAB