openupgrade-drivers team mailing list archive

Re: Merging of saas-3 and openupgrade

On 03/19/2014 02:48 PM, Valentin LAB wrote:
>> Hi Valentin,
>>
>> thank you for your work. When porting OpenUpgrade to a new release of
>> OpenERP, we simply take the diff of OpenUpgrade against the
>> corresponding OpenERP branch and apply the framework parts to the new
>> release of OpenERP. That still seems the proper way to go, and I will
>> carry out the first iteration of this within the next couple of weeks.
>> Your input below about this is valuable though.
>
> Ok, do you mean you don't proceed with merge, but instead work with a
> pile of patches that you maintain on the target OpenERP branch ? Or
> are you speaking only of a big diff (a pile of one patch) ?

Hi,

Well, without the docs, the openupgrade API and the openupgrade_records
addon this is a 268 line diff. But actually I would not mind proceeding
with the merge if we could do it in simple steps. You can do this by
recommitting the docs, API, records addon and the core changes each in
their separate revision, push as separate branches and propose
separately while specifying any preceding branch as a dependency. This
will make the review process very transparent and worthwhile.

I have created a branch
lp:~openupgrade-committers/openupgrade-server/8.0
<https://code.launchpad.net/%7Eopenupgrade-committers/openupgrade-server/8.0>
to propose against. It is a copy of today's lp:openobject-server/trunk.
This will then become the 8.0 series branch.

If you agree, I would already suggest you remove the 7.0 migration
scripts and analysis beforehand because we do not need it in this edition.

>> Apart from the framework parts, I had expected the migration scripts for
>> the base module up until SAAS3, but these seem to be just the migration
>> scripts for 6.1 -> 7.0. It is this part of your work which is the most
>> valuable to the project. Do you have such migration scripts?
>
> Well, saas-3 version is recognised as 7.saas~3 version, and will
> create these directory in the "migrations" directories.

This directory is not in the addons/base/migration in your server
branch, which is why I asked. Have you got one for the base module?

> We definitively have written a few specific scripts:
>

> Some of these are very concrete and pragmatic way to tackle probably
> specific issues we have encountered. Some of these script need
> rewriting and we'll learn a lot of your review as we have taken a very
> naive approach to this for now. But we are willing to learn any
> insights you would have to share with us.

Sure, sounds like the project will surely benefit from your work.

> What is the best way to share our work ? (is the directory name
> '7.saas~3.1.0' okay with you ?) Should we simply put this branch on
> launchpad without further modifications ?

Well, ideally we could do continuous migration between the stable
release and the various SAAS releases up until the next release
througout the OpenERP development lifecycle, mirroring current practices
at OpenERP SA. But the community is too small for that, I believe. In
theory though, we could keep the 7.saas~ migration scripts as is, as
they would be run as expected when upgrading from 7.0 proper to 8.0 in
the correct order. The developer working on the migration towards the
final release should take the partial migration into account, but that
should be obvious as long as the partial migration is complete wrt. the
changes in the corresponding SAAS version.

Maybe even other parties are interested in working on a saas~3 subtarget
as well?

BTW. can I ask you if the saas branches are stable in their lifecycle
wrt. noupdate data and database scheme in your experience?

> We currently have migrated 2 small databases with openupgrade and our
> scripts from 7.0 to saas~3 ... this is far from enough to have any
> faith on the solidity of this code but hopefully can provide some
> inspiration for others...

No problem. Seems to fit my impression that most community code in
OpenERP land that is proposed runs in a single production environment
only (if you're lucky).

Cheers,
Stefan

--
Therp - Maatwerk in open ontwikkeling

Stefan Rijnhart - Ontwerp en implementatie

mail: stefan@xxxxxxxx
tel: +31 (0) 614478606
web: http://therp.nl