oqgraph-dev team mailing list archive

Re: What to do about oqgraph v3 (10.0, Slackware, Debian, etc)

Hi Heinz

On 18/11/13 23:40, Heinz Wiesinger wrote:
On Friday 20 September 2013 16:41:54 Heinz Wiesinger wrote:
On Friday 20 September 2013 23:34:03 Andrew McDonnell wrote:
Hello Arjen, Tom, Heinz

[..]

Would the difference be because the Slackware packaging proposal is for
imminent release whereas Debian Unstable is, well, Unstable?

Not really. My point here is that Slackware doesn't normally do patches to
upstream projects. Exceptions would include security fixes, fixes already
committed in the upstream vcs, or fixes for dead upstream. Neither would be
the case here IMHO. (We even skipped a security patch because it replaced a
core component of a library rather than actually fixing it, so you can
imagine that chances of getting a patch accepted, which replaces a core
component without security implications are slim.)
So the only way we'd get v3 with MariaDB 5.5 is if it is accepted by MariaDB
upstream, and this is what I raised my doubts about whether they would
accept it. If they do, everything is rainbows and unicorns :)

I assume here you are worried about existing deployments using oqgraphv2
suddenly finding themselves using oqgraphv3, and although I built a
backwards compatibility mode into v3, it is probably not obvious or
automatic to enable this and is only moderately tested (and changing the
latch from int to varchar is a fundamental variance in the interface)

That would be one of the concerns I would expect the MariaDB devs to have.

Is there an update on this? MariaDB 10.0 went into beta (= feature freeze), so
I guess we won't see OQGraph v3 in 10.0.x. But it would still be nice if we
could get it installable as an addon. Waiting for 10.1 is gonna be a while :/

OQGRAPH is a clean plugin, whether or not it's included in a build does not affect the rest of the build. To use it, the plugin must be explicitly loaded once in the deployment.

I can't say with absolute certainty as there are many aspects involved, but based on prior discussion, MariaDB going from alpha to beta does not necessarily preclude merging the v3 codebase. We're working with the MariaDB build and QA engineers, specifically Elena Stepanova and Daniel Bartholomew, on getting this done.

Regards,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com.au)
Australian peace of mind for your MySQL/MariaDB infrastructure.

Follow us http://openquery.com.au/blog/ & http://twitter.com/openquery