phatch-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Phatch 0.28 Mac - prerelease for testing

2010/6/8 Stani <spe.stani.be@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 12:46 PM, Frank Erens <seysayux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> A few comments.
>> 1) Robin, I think your server is unstable, because I often get "not
>> recognised" on the DMG, I need to redownload
>> 2) Instead of including Blender in the Phatch.app, I'd rather check if
>> Blender is already installed. There's probably a LaunchServices call
>> for that.
>
> Good remark. Thanks for the feedback! That would be the best option.
> However we need to go in steps. On Windows we already can use the
> installed version of Blender. But for some users it was not working as
> the Blender version was incompatible.
>
> Let's first include Blender. (It is not that big actually.) The Python
> version of Blender is quite different between Blender versions.
> Moreover Phatch uses Python 2.6, while:
> - Blender 2.50 uses Python 3.
> - Blender 2.49 uses Python 2.5
> - Blender 2.49b uses Python 2.6
> - ...
You can probably put that in a HashMap or similar construct in Python
(I don't have any experience with Python, just Java and C++/LibSylph)

> So checking if Blender is installed is not enough, we also need to
> check the Python version in Blender.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/557403
There's very likely a LaunchServices call for getting the version of
Blender, you can use the hashmap to get the python version.