Re: Suggestions for the interface

Hello,

On 11.05.2012 10:58, Benjamin Eltzner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to share my opinion on some of the points discussed.
> Well, some of my comments might cross the border to completely
> unobjective rants.

>> Added a build-time option "fit_to_equal_width" for you to try out
>> and tell me whether this is what you actually meant. Tough
>> personally, I don't like it. But of course, I could live with the
>> build-time option.
>
> On the long run I quite generally prefer runtime options to
> buildtime options. (Config files are fine for less frequently used
> options.) So if this option is approved, I would prefer an
> implementation in the gui.

This could become a runtime option. Depends. Anyway, this is just for
testing how it should/could work but not the final implementation. (So
this could become for example "fit uniformly/fit per-row/fit per-row
to equal width" via the GUI...)

>> Good idea. Should be done.
>
> In other viewers it seems usual that right-/left-arrow scroll by
> one page at a time, while page-up/-down scroll by the screenfull.
> Did I mention, that I am somewhat ui-conservative?

I don't see the argument here as I already commented on the "the other
programs do it that way". The functionality is now there and it is not
less accessible in any way.

>> Agreed. I reduced the default to "open in new tab" and "refresh"
>> for "file" and "current page", "number of pages", "previous page"
>> and "next page" for "edit".
>>
>> This would probably be a good place for other users of this
>> mailing list to speak out what they would choose as the default
>> options as I will probably remove the fallback icons of the
>> non-default actions from the release. (Meaning you could not
>> really add them back in if your icon theme does not contain the
>> necessary icons. See below.)
>
> I do not think that some 10-20 excessive .svg-icons create
> unbearable bloat, so I honestly do not see the point in throwing
> out the icons of non-default options. If you did not throw out
> icons, I would not have to bother. (Well actually I do not have to,
> because I use a standard ubuntu; but still, it is a matter of
> principle...)

Depends, e.g. if those icon make up most of the installed program
size? (I think we already were at 50% icons or something like that.)

But the real reasons is that I actually do not want to ship any icons
because qpdfview takes care to use standard icons only which should be
supplied by an FDo-compatible icon theme.

This really is just a fallback, i.e. a measure to preserve some
reduced level of functionality even though an icon theme is not
present which nevertheless is one of the design assumptions. So in a
sense, it is a matter of principle. Just the other way around.

Besides, some comment on what you actually would like as the default
toolbar entries would have been nice.

>> I think I really like that combo box and will probably not change
>> it but see below.
>
> I do not care about verbosity so much, but otherwise I am quite
> agnostic towards this point. Same for the
> continuous/single-double-page-box.
>
> Also a question from the layman: Would it be much harder to make
> "render_from_disk" available as an option in a config file instead
> of a buildtime option? I have some esoteric use cases for this
> options, but I understand it is for the better not to use it as
> default. Still it would be great if it could be simply changed
> without recompiling.

It don't want to expose this a configuration option as I really want
to discourage its usage. (E.g. by making it a necessity to recompile.)
The semantics are unclear and prone to failure. The program will not
become unresponsive if this is disabled, just take a while longer to
render those pages. (Poppler 0.20 has some improvements for image
masks in the SplashOutputDev which should help with rendering speed
for your corner case. So there will be even less of a reason to use
this in the near future.)

So it is there if you feel reckless and really want it. But it will
probably never become a configuration option. Actually, for me, the
worst part is that I released the older versions with this as the default.

> Cheers,
>
> Benjamin

Regards, Adam.