Re: Suggestions for the interface

Hey,

On 11.05.2012 19:29, Andi Șerbănescu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 11 May 2012 10:18, Adam Reichold <adamreichold@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote: Hello again,

> Well, as I said, currently I do not know how to do this without
> any rounding errors. I am open to suggestions.
>
> I'd also say we could life with that one pixel mistake as long as
> it does not cause the horizontal scrollbar to become visible.
>

>> I wish I could help you, but I'm not at all into C++ or toolkit
>> programming.

> Nice.

> Maybe this was the revision were I accidentally pushed
> "render_in_paint" as the default configuration...
>

>> As of 236, it's still gone :)

> Added a build-time option "fit_to_equal_width" for you to try out
> and tell me whether this is what you actually meant. Tough
> personally, I don't like it. But of course, I could live with the
> build-time option.
>

>> Yes, that's what I wanted. There's another thing: the thumbnails.
>> I really think those should be of fixed size. I actually have a
>> book whose covers are huge (over 16 times larger surface-wise)
>> compared to the rest of the pages, and besides taking up a lot of
>> space it makes it very hard to make out the contents of those
>> pages in the thumbnail panel.

I see. I will have a look into that. One thing that would really help
is if you could send me one or two of those files with non-uniform
page sizes. I actually have very few files to test with in that
regard. Of course, better directly and not through the mailing list.

> Good idea. Should be done.

> Agreed. I reduced the default to "open in new tab" and "refresh"
> for "file" and "current page", "number of pages", "previous page"
> and "next page" for "edit".
>
> This would probably be a good place for other users of this
> mailing list to speak out what they would choose as the default
> options as I will probably remove the fallback icons of the
> non-default actions from the release. (Meaning you could not really
> add them back in if your icon theme does not contain the necessary
> icons. See below.)
>

>> Well, I don't really care what's default if it can be easily
>> changed.

> I think I really like that combo box and will probably not change
> it but see below.

> That does not seem to be a real argument because the question would
> be why they have them and whether we agree with that reasoning.
>

>> I honestly have no idea why they put them in there :)
>
>> If you'd ask me, it probably has to do with the fact that some
>> documents do NOT lend themselves well to certain layouts, so if
>> you happen to load one of them, it's very useful to have an
>> option at hand for switching away to a more adequate layout.
>
>> WIMP-oriented applications ought to have buttons to represent
>> such options, even if they also provide keybindings. Qpdfview is
>> a different animal than zathura and mupdf.

That is definitely true, but we also have a menu to represent these
functions. It's not that it is reachable by keyboard only. Anyway,
we're getting there.

> Definitely too crazy. :-) (I'd assume that Evince basically gets
> this for free from the GNOME support libraries.) I am not in favour
> of implementing this or even just dropping it into the code from
> somewhere else as qpdfview aims for a somewhat minimal code base.
>

>> Now, I think VLC also has one of those, and it doesn't depend on
>> anything else than Qt, but…
>
> But I did make the toolbars configurable by editing the
> configuration file which should be
> "~/.config/qpdfview/qpdfview.conf" by default (depending on your
> XDG_* environment variables). You can set the keys "fileToolBar",
> "editToolBar" and "viewToolBar" in the section "mainWindow" to your
> liking using your favourite text editor.
>

>> …editing files will do just fine for me.
>
> The current defaults are: fileToolBar = openInNewTab,refresh
> editToolBar = currentPage,numberOfPages,previousPage,nextPage
> viewToolBar = scaleFactor,zoomIn,zoomOut (Yes you can remove that
> pesky combo box. :-))
>
> Further available entries are: fileToolBar: open,saveCopy,print
> editToolBar: firstPage,lastPage,search (Yes you can finally have a
> search button. :-)) viewToolBar:
> fitToPage,doNotScale,rotateLeft,rotateRight,fullscreen,presentation
>
>  Note that you can also use this to just reorder things. (I will
> probably have to document this in the README.)
>

>> This is good. I'm very grateful. (Didn't you forget about
>> fitToWidth, though?)

The problem is that there is only a "zoom-fit-best" icon specified,
not "zoom-fit-best-width" or something like that. :-) (You can look
through the list for example here:
"http://standards.freedesktop.org/icon-naming-spec/icon-naming-spec-latest.html";)
So basically, I made a random choice. (The other option would be to
give both the same icon. Don't know whether that's a good idea.)

> The options that seem to be currently missing from the view
> toolbar have the problem that there are no icons specified in the
> FreeDesktop icon naming specification, i.e. they are not completely
> standard.
>
> This means someone would have to design some magnificent icons for
> the page layout and probably the scale mode options that could
> actually be shipped as non-fallback icons. But here is the catch:
> That someone won't be me as I am totally absolutely not in the
> design-and-graphics department.
>

>> Not even something that would resemble them or suggest the same
>> thing? That sounds like bad news…

Not really... This point had to come sooner or later. So we probably
need icons for the four layouts and three scale modes. It is probably
not such about designing them but finding a suitable source with a
license that allows me to use these icons. (For example, the Tango
icons are public domain so that I could just mesh up an application
icon for qpdfview without doing any actual design.)

There are a few problems with poppler and subpixel RGB right now,